Ministry of Commerce, Enterprise and Small Business Development
3rd Floor, Government Headquarters
Tel: (767) 266 3965
To create an enabling environment that supports, strengthens and promotes business development actitivites.
To be the key driver fuelling business and economic transformation.
- Creating an enabling and improved environment for business, industry and commerce
- Providing and promoting opportunities for increased micro and small business investment and enterprise development
- Expansion of the rural economy for contribution to the broader macro economy
- Contribute to increased foreign exchange, economic growth and development ( production of goods & services towards being export ready)
- Creating employment and opportunities for income generation
- Promotion of a greener economy
- Poverty alleviation
The Ministry of Commerce, Enterprise and Small Business Development is located on the 3rd floor of the Government Headquarters on Kennedy Avenue, Roseau.
The Ministry of Commerce, on behalf of the Government of Dominica, recognizes the important of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise Sector as a vibrant contributor to the economic and social transformation of Dominica, The sector provides meaningful employment, skills transfer, wealth creation and diverse opportunities for the people of Dominica to participate in national development.
Under this Ministry portfolio are the following:
- Agro processing
- Small Business
- Private Sector Development
As part of its Capital Programme, the Ministry focuses on the provision of technical Assistance; Small Business Grant Assistance and development/establishment of Rural Business Enterprise Centres around the island.
An Executive Officer and Business Development Officers provide technical assistance and support to clients requesting grant assistance for the development of their Micro and Small Businesses islandwide. Business Development Officers (BDO) also assists the clients in applying for assistance and visit clients in order to determine their readiness for starting a business. Business skills and trainings are also given to the clients so that they can better manage and sustain their business.
As part of its Rural Enterprise Programme business incubations are develop for a period of two years providing skills training, business ethics and financial support to groups in rural communities preparing them for launching on their own Small Business.
Presently, the Ministry has Business Enterprises in Dublanc, Paix Bouche, Sineku and Grand Fond. Work is ongoing for the development of the Southern Enterprise Centre in Grand Bay.
A Rural Enterprise Officer provides guidance and technical support to these groups in collaboration with other Government partners such as the Ministry of Trade, Youth Division, and Ministry of Kalinago Affairs.
To focus on public/private sector development, the Ministry has the support of a trained personnel that works collaboratively with groups such as Dominica Association of Industry and Commerce(DAIC; Dominica Coalition of Services (DCSI); Dominica Herbal Business Association(DHBA);
- Technical Assistance/Training on how to start and manage a small business with simulated business exercises
- Brochures on Forms of Business Ownership; Record Keeping; and Marketing
- Financial assistance in starting a small business
- Assistance in formulating a business plan
- Business card and Logo designs for clients