The Government of the Commonwealth of Dominica (GOCD) has received financing from the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) towards the cost of Natural Disaster Management – Rehabilitation and Reconstruction (Tropical Storm Ophelia) Project and intends to apply a portion of the proceeds of this financing to eligible payments under a contract for which this invitation is issued. Payment by CDB will be made only at the request of GOCD and upon approval by CDB, and will be subject, in all respects to the terms and conditions of the Financing Agreement. The Financing Agreement prohibits withdrawal from the financing account for the purpose of any payment to persons or entities, or for any import of goods, if such payment or import, to the knowledge of CDB, is prohibited by a decision of the United Nations Security Council taken under Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations. No party other than GOCD shall derive any rights from the Financing Agreement or have any claim to the proceeds of the Financing.
The Project is being implemented by the Ministry of Public Works and Ports (MPWP) through its Technical Services Division. The Ministry of Public Works and Ports has contracted Consultants who will assist the MPWP with delivering the Project.
The expected outcome of the Project is reduced risks associated with landslide hazards in the Roseau Valley. The proposed works will reduce the vulnerability of the project site and communities to future adverse weather-related events.
MPWP now invites sealed bids from eligible bidders for slope stabilisation and realignment of 170m of Bath Estate Road. The works include, but are not limited to the following:
- cut and fill earthmoving and disposal for new road realignment, slope stabilisation, terracing and erosion control, construction of approximately 100m long 3.8m average high reinforced concrete toewall, reinstatement of road pavement of tarrish base/sub-base and flexible asphalt concrete surface course with associated drainage and other miscellaneous works;
- traffic management to allow for the continuous flow of traffic between the City of Roseau and the Roseau Valley during the execution of the Works;
consideration will be limited to firms or joint ventures of firms, which are legally incorporated or otherwise organised in, and have their principal place of business in an eligible country and are either:
- more than 50% beneficially owned by a citizen or citizens and/or a bona fide resident or residents of an eligible country, or by a body corporate or bodies corporate meeting these requirements; or
- owned or controlled by the Government of an eligible country provided that it is legally and financially autonomous and operated under the commercial law of an eligible country and otherwise meets the eligibility requirements of the CDB Guidelines for Procurement (2006)
Eligible countries are member countries of CDB.
Eligible bidders will be required to submit full qualification information with their bids establishing their eligibility to bid and qualifications to perform the contract if the bid is accepted. Tender and qualifications information are to be submitted in the English language on the prescribed forms inserted in the Bid Documents. Submissions that do not provide the information required, or do not demonstrate the prospective contractor's ability to perform satisfactorily, will not quality and will not be considered for evaluation.
Qualification requirements include, inter alia:
- an average annual turnover (defined as certified payments received for works in progress or completed) within the last five (5) years of at least four million nine hundred and twenty-six thousand United States dollars (USD4,926,000.00);
- a demonstrable cash flow (including access to credit) of two hundred and ninety-five thousand United States dollars (USD295,000.00) per month; and
- experience as prime contractor in the construction of at least two (2) assignments of a nature, scope and complexity comparable to the proposed project activity within the last five (5) years (to comply with this requirement, works quoted should be at least 80 percent complete)
Eligible firms may obtain bidding documents by emailing, calling or writing to the first address below. The documents may be purchased for a non-refundable fee of USD100.00 or its equivalent in a freely convertible currency for each copy. Payment is to be made by wire transfer, bank draft or certified cheque to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Public Works and Ports, Government Headquarters, Kennedy Avenue, Roseau, Commonwealth of Dominica, W.I. prior to collecting the documents at the first address below. Information to pay by wire transfer can be obtained from the first address below.
Written requests must clearly state “Request for Bid Documents for Road Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Works at Bath Estate”. Applicants who request that documents be forwarded to them are required to submit an account number for a local courier agent, which accepts freight collect charges. The Ministry will promptly dispatch the documents but under no circumstances will the Ministry accept responsibility for late delivering or loss of the documents so transmitted.
Submission of bids shall be in sealed envelopes clearly marked "Bid for Road Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Works at Bath Estate, Tropical Storm Ophelia" and must be received at the first address below no later than 2:30 p.m. on August 28, 2017. Bid opening will take place immediately after the deadline for submission at the first address below in the presence of bidders representatives who choose to attend. Qualification information only must be simultaneously submitted to the second address below.
All bids must be accompanied by a Bid Security of one hundred and forty-one thousand United States dollars (USD141,000).
MPWP reserves the right to accept or reject any bid, and to annul the process and reject all bids, at anytime prior to award of contract, without thereby incurring any liability to the affected prospective bidder(s) or any obligation to inform the affected prospective bidder(s) of the grounds for the MPWP action. MPWP will not defray any costs incurred by any bidder in the preparation of bids.
Ministry of Public Works and Ports
1st Floor, Government Headquarters
COMMONWEALTH OF DOMINICA
Tel: (767) 266-3524
Fax: (767) 440-4799
Procurement Policy Unit
Caribbean Development Bank
P. O. Box 408
Wildey, St. Michael
BARBADOS, W.I.,BB 11000
Tel: (246) 431-1600
Fax: (246) 426-7269